Translate

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Week 1, Semester 2. Summer Recap

Hello! The last post on my blog left off as the S-STEM Scholars were getting ready to present their research results at the Estrella Mountain Student Conference. I am happy to update any incoming S-STEM Scholars with the following news: The Phoenix College Bio-Sciences Department swept the awards! Our students took all prizes in the visual presentation category. Kudos and congratulations to the prize winners. The accolades are well-deserved (and so were the prize monies that were distributed to the winners!)

Summer 2014 was utilized to continue variations of my spring research project. I continued to conduct DNA extractions on E. coli specimens, using multiple protocols and a variety of protein precipitates within each. Results were varied, with limited success. All samples were processed through electrophoresis gels and then viewed under UV light to determine banding, if any. Only two samples showed promise at this step, but when I progressed to polymerase-chain reactions (PCR) on those samples, the results changed from inconclusive to negative.

The semester was not fruitless, however. As I continued the processes of extractions, electrophoreses, and PCR's, my knowledge and expertise improved significantly. My fundamental understanding of DNA composition, lab equipment, mathematical calculations, the scientific method, and even my note-taking proficiency, were all improved by the extra fifty hours I was able to spend in the lab. Indubitably, this increase in knowledge will lead to positive results as I continue my project over the fall semester.

After a brief hiatus from my project that I have taken as summer became September, I am looking forward to resuming my work, re-connecting with old friends, and meeting the new scholars as we embark on another learning journey. See you in the lab!

P.S. For any math scholars out there: I would love to discuss summing integers and digital roots with you. I have been studying the phenomena of multiples of 9 whose integers sum back to 9; After multiple calculations and conferencing with Josh James, I became aware of the reduction patterns that accompany whole numbers from 1-8 after summing as well. This mathematical concept is absolutely intriguing me at this moment, and any light you can shed on the subject would be welcomed. Feel free to contact me!

credit: sapnaedu.in

2 comments:

  1. I found a really simple definition of digital roots

    Simply put, "The general use of digital roots just extends that idea to any number - but does not necessarily imply anything special about multiples. So to obtain the digital root of a number we simply add the digits, and continue to do so until we are left with a single digit." (Bagnall)

    Bagnall, Bernard. "Digital Roots". from NRICH. Enriching Mathematics. http://nrich.maths.org/5524

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's a formula.... digital root of n = 1 + ( (n - 1) % 9 )

    The % represents the modulo operation but I am not sure how to execute the modulo operation.

    I also found out something interesting, but maybe you are saving that for another post on another day. Here's a hint..Nintendo.

    ReplyDelete