Translate

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Week 3, Semester 2. A New Path

Last week I prepped extraction samples from E. coli, using a simple extraction protocol provided by the lab's resident MicroBiology guru, Cori. Apparently, sometimes the simplest methodology is the best, as once the extractions were complete, I ran electrophoresis gels on the samples. The results under UV review indicated that DNA was successfully extracted. Hooray! (Or should I say, "Eureka! I've got it!") Exact details of methodology are available upon request, but as a general overview the protocol simply used TBS and SDS to lyse the sample cells, and room temperature isopropanol to precipitate the DNA. I then stored the samples @ -4°C for further testing this week.

This week's major breakthrough in my learning process occurred when I decided to figure out how to operate an old, unused photo-spectrometer that has been sitting in the lab for the better part of a decade. While discontinued from production, the unit isn't nearly as antiquated as one might think, and is decades newer than some of the other photo-specs I found stashed around the lab. It has a digital display for entering scanning protocols, and comes equipped with an internal printer to provide a hard copy of the test results. 

In addition to learning the operations of this piece of equipment, I also refreshed my knowledge of UV wavelengths and the optimal range for UV scanning of DNA without sample degradation.
I did run some preliminary samples through the spec, but due to a calibration oversight the data was incorrect and will have to be repeated. Results on this to follow next week.


Here's an artist rendering of DNA. Enjoy!
Source: deviantart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment