Translate

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Week 2, Semester 2

Today I prepped for bacterial extractions, which begin in earnest tomorrow. To that end, I spent most of my time in the lab reviewing previous data results for potential improvements and/or changes to procedures, as well as taking inventory of the supplies I will need to complete the extractions. I also did mundane but necessary tasks, such as creating fresh buffers and gels for future electrophoreses.

I have identified two protocols that I have previously tested for further review. However, I will be changing the protein precipitates that I use to clean up the sample. A proteinase K solution and commercially available contact lens cleaner that I used in previous protocols provided promising results, so I will be testing them with the different protocols to determine if I can repeat or improve upon my previous data.

Due to the time needed to precipitate the DNA samples. I will be leaving them to incubate @ -4° C over the weekend. Hence, I will be unable to conduct a PCR to identify any successfully extracted, non-sheared DNA, until I am in the lab the following week.

Results will be posted on this blog at that time. In the interim, please enjoy this rendering of E. coli in glass, by the artist Luke Jerram.

http://www.lukejerram.com/glass/

No comments:

Post a Comment