Translate

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Week 9-Finally.


Testing of multiple DNA extraction processes has begun.

I started this week by growing my own batch of E. coli from lab stock, so that I can simply create a fresh batch when needed. Successful extractions apparently hinge on the age of the E. coli culture, with extractions performed during the first 24 hours of incubation most usable for this project. So each day this week begins with culturing new stock for the following day's lab.

I am testing a variety of protocols. The simplest method is as follows:

E. coli broth was centrifuged @13,200x g for 15 min. The supernatant was eliminated, and the remaining pellet was re-suspended in molecular biology-grade water and centrifuged @13,200 g for 10 min. The supernatant was again eliminated, with the pellet re-suspended in m g-b water and boiled at 100°C for 10 min. The sample was then cooled on ice for 10 minutes. The supernatant was then removed and stored overnight @ -20°C.

Other methods include digestion by protein, simple boiling, and cold ethanol additions. More on these methods to follow as the project progresses.

By the way, the DNA pics are not mine. I found them on a simple Google search and I thought that they are rad so I shared them.

No comments:

Post a Comment