Translate

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Week 8: Post-Spring Break

This week was utilized to learn the protocols I will be using for DNA extractions. These will be performed next week. I have not been making the progress I had hoped for at successfully extracting e. Coli DNA, for multiple reasons including the age of the base culture being used (my cultures were outside the optimal extraction period of 24-hours from inception.) Therefore, I asked for and received additional guidance from the lab department r.e. my methodology; now with that assistance, I am on schedule to rapidly increase the pace of my research. By this time next week, I should be proficient at multiple extraction techniques.

Some of the techniques I will be using include simple boiling, cold ethanol addition, centrifuging with enzymatic digestion, and even a simple mixture of common household detergent and cold ethanol. The specificities of each method are written in the protocols for each test and will be included in the write-up of post-testing results. The protocols resulting in successful extraction will also be posted on this blog for perusal.

Please enjoy the following animation:

http://youtu.be/TfYf_rPWUdY

No comments:

Post a Comment