Translate

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week 3: 02/12/2014

e. Coli.
Week 3 (Already??!):

Still working on the unknown bacteria identification. Results of the lactose test were negative, but the glucose came back bright-yellow positive and presenting a gas bubble. The next step was to inoculate a TCB tube and incubate for 24 hours, so the waiting game continues. This is taking some time, due to the intervals between my scheduled lab times, but I am still having fun with this initial project.

I have settle into this semester's routine, which is basically: school, work, school, work, ad infinitum. Somewhere in there I do get to sleep a few hours, but my social life is gone, so what interaction I get with other creatures outside those two venues consists primarily of talking to my dog and cat. I'm loving every minute of this process, however, and more importantly- I am learning, almost every moment of the day. I am also building valuable relationships with the other STEM students that I hope will be long-lasting and thus continue beyond my time here at PC.

No progress yet on beginning the secondary, larger project of the semester. Currently, I am in the research phase, which essentially consists of me educating myself on some of the terminology and procedures I will be using for the research into a universal primer for 16s DNA sequencing, as the subject is new to me. I'm out of my comfort zone on this, and that's GOOD, as it means I exploring unfamiliar territory and am positioned to advance my learning process. We'll see what tomorrow holds. Until then- here's an image of my first DNA extraction and electrophoresis:

No comments:

Post a Comment