Translate

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week 2: 02/05/2014

Week Two. Hard to believe that we are already nearly 20% of the way through this semester.
Today in day 2 of lab, I began the identification process for the unknown bacteria given to me for my first project. Having already incubated it for 24-hours, I pulled the culture and did the basic Gram-stain test. Initial results are a Gram-negative bacilli, presenting singly under the microscope. Colonies are circular, raised slightly from the plate, and white in color. There is little odor. Tomorrow, Day 3, I will complete the identification process, and later I'll update this blog to reflect my results.

P.S. Kudos to the immediate response from the lab team today after an emergency arose with a student during a lab. There must have been either a fireman's pole between floors in the Dalby building, or Josh and Matt jumped from a second floor window to the labs, because it seemed like only seconds after a request was made for help that both were on the scene. Good to know that I am in such good hands.

Update 02/07:

Did an oxidase test on the unknown and results indicated a negative response, so I made three cultures (single- and double-strength lactose and glucose broths) at once so I could lessen the time it's going to take to complete this project. No I'm not skipping any steps, but since the results of the glucose MIGHT send me to do a lactose next, I thought- let's cover all my bases.

Here's a little something for you to enjoy:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment