Translate

Friday, September 18, 2015

Semester 4-Week 2

Hello! Welcome back.

This week was spent primarily focused on academics, but as of this writing I have also begun my final paper about this project.  This is probably going to take some time to do, as I have to sift through all of my notes from the last three semesters. I haven't always been as organized with my lab notes as I have learned to be, so I am anticipating that some of my data may be incomplete. If so, I will have to repeat portions of my project several times in order to verify the accuracy of the data that I do have.

Live and learn. Good note-keeping=the best possible accuracy.

Also this week, I spent a little time enjoying the following articles about GFP, or Green Fluorescent Protein. This particular protein was discovered in a species of jellyfish, Aequorea victoria, in the late 20th century and subsequently has proven useful for tracking protein production and gene expression in a number of animal species. The protein glows green under light in the blue-ultraviolet range, and while originally sourced from the jellyfish species, this protein was cloned in 1994 and thereafter became commercially available.

Please peruse the links. Also, please take a look at the pics; the animals shown have been altered with GFP.

http://www.conncoll.edu/ccacad/zimmer/GFP-ww/GFP-1.htm
http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/P42212



Photo credits: www.buzzfeed.com





No comments:

Post a Comment