Translate

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Week 10, Semester 2

Hello! And welcome back to this blog.

This week has been focused on reviewing the data collected thus far and determining the next steps of my research project. I have decided to analyze genomic sequences of the various bacteria named in my abstract for sequence correlations; this will allow me to predict a primer design that will result in DNA amplification during the polymerase-chain reaction (PCR) process. This design prediction is in line with my original project hypothesis, which is that there are universal primers for PCR usage which will successfully amplify DNA from seven common bacterial species (all species are named in my abstract; see blog Week 6, Semester 1 for details.)

After primer design is complete, the next phase of this project is to repeat the procedures used to conduct extractions on E. coli. The entire protocol testing process will not be repeated; only the protocol and precipitate solutions found to be successful at extracting E. coli will be used on the six remaining species. Then, bacterial samples from all seven species will be submitted for PCR amplification using the specific primers that were designed.

This next phase begins in earnest in Week 11. For my remaining lab time this week, I will be joining the Biology staff and other S-STEM scholars on a much-needed off-site field trip to the Dreamy Draw Park & Recreation Area. For those of you who are unable to attend, please enjoy this shot of our beautiful desert, taken from within the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment