Translate

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Semester 4-Week 11- On Hold

Hello! Welcome back. Although last week I did promise to run some new experiments and continue primer testing, this week, like so many others do as the semester end approaches, I suddenly realized that we have three weeks of school left before finals. This means I have some catching up to do on course work, which I have spent all week doing. Additional experiments are therefore on hold, probably for the remainder of the semester.

The reason for the crunch is that I am taking a most excellent philosophy course on Bioethics, which requires that I write four essays worth 80% of my overall grade. Due to this being a late start class, the course schedule is compressed, and due dates for the papers are coming sometimes only a few days apart. So I have been knee-deep in position papers on the ethics of passive vs. active euthanasia, patient informed consent requirements, and animal research. It's a bit heady, and I am enjoying it.

There was one exciting development this week, and I must give my public thanks to S-STEM Director Amanda Chapman for making it happen. She has been in continual meetings with the ASU West faculty facilitating the transfer of S-STEM scholars into their NCUIRE program, which allows non-university undergrads the opportunity to either do authentic S-STEM experiences at ASU or begin internships at ASU as the student prepares to transfer to university. Last week, a group of PC faculty and S-STEM students toured the ASU West research labs and received an introduction to the program from Dr. Todd Sandrin, Associate Dean. It was an amazing experience.

As a result of Prof. Chapman's efforts, I met with Dr. Becky Ball, assistant professor of Sustainability Studies at the ASU West campus. Dr. Ball is a biogeochemist who studies soil conditions in multiple ecosystems (I have included a link here to her bio page). Long story short, I was offered and have accepted an internship with Dr. Ball, (contingent upon grant approval-fingers crossed!). Very exciting stuff!

The internship is not part of the NCUIRE program, however it will still provide me with the hands-on training and mentoring that I will need to continue my education and career.

Thank you, Amanda Chapman. For S-STEM, for the support you have given me over the course of this program, and for connecting me with the next stage of my development. I am in your debt.

Until next week, here is something that I hope you all enjoy:





No comments:

Post a Comment