Translate

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Semester 4-Week 8

Hello! Thank you for joining me.

This week, I have been busy putting together various elements of my research paper. I had to start working on this paper at the beginning of the semester, as I needed to identify any potentially weak or missing data so that I could have time to repeat certain experiments for data clarification.

I also spent some time this week working with a fellow S-STEM scholar, Mitra. I was asked to share my extraction and gel protocols with her and give some guidance as she implemented them into her own project. We did a couple of bacterial extractions and then ran gels; unfortunately, the experiment did not yield DNA. I am not sure why this occurred. It is a procedure that I have done repeatedly in the past, so my conclusion is that there must have been an unaccounted for error in the process, and we must simply re-do the experiment. More on that on another blog.

In the meantime, I am including a link here to an article published in Yale News about the prevalence of bacteria in the indoor environment. I am also including a link here to the original paper by J. Qian, et. al, that was published in 2012. I hope you enjoy them both-they are quite interesting!

Have a Great Week!

Here's another picture of my favorite bacteria, E. coli. 


Photo credit: Centers for Disease Control, www.cdc.gov 





No comments:

Post a Comment