Translate

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Summer Session-PCR Results for All Targeted Species

Hello! Thanks for joining me for another installment of my blog. Your attention is very much appreciated!

This week, I continued collecting results data for my study by running another PCR on my extraction samples. This time, I decided to attempt amplification on all fifteen of the bacterial species I have been working with (a list is included below). This would be the first time I have run a PCR on all of my gram negative and gram positive samples at the same time, although I have done them in separate batches previously; I did a concurrent test this week so that I could compare the results against those obtained earlier in this project.

I also included two separate samples of P. aeruginosa that were obtained using different extraction protocols, as detailed in an earlier blog post. The purpose of this nuance in my test was to ensure that all PCR conditions were identical, so that any variance in results could be tied to the differing extraction protocols.

The results? DNA amplified; all samples appeared to be approximately 150 base pairs long. (Only two gel pictures representing eleven samples are shown due to a camera malfunction in the lab equipment.)



List of bacterial species used: S. enterica, S. sonnei, P vulgaris, P. mirabilis, P. stuartii, S. marcescens, P. aeruginosa, E. coli, K. oxytoca, B. subtilis, S. aureus, B. cereus, S. epidermidis, E. faecalis, and M. luteus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment